This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for the Eastern Moors
The Eastern Moors is situated on the east of the Peak District National Park in the UK and the fringes of Sheffield, England's fourth largest city. The Eastern Moors are both a valued place to people and the wildlife that thrives there. A place of great diversity with a mix of different habitats including vibrant woodlands, towering grit-stone edges, open moorland with dramatic skies, every visit is different.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01433 630316 .
Before you visit
- Open all year
- To find out more visit www.easternmoors.org.uk.
How to find us
The Eastern Moors, owned by the Peak District National Park Authority and leased by the Eastern Moors Partnership, consist of Totley Moss, Ramsley Moor, Big Moor, Clod Hall, Jack Flat and Leash Fen.
There are a number of car parks around the Eastern Moors, the main ones being Curbar Gap (pay and display), Birchen Edge and Shillito Wood, plus the National Trust pay and display car parks at Hay Wood, Wooden Pole and Longshaw. There is also lay-by parking around the site including at Fox House.
To locate Curbar Gap car park, leave Curbar village east along Bar Road. The car park is on the left at the very top of the hill. Grid reference SK 263 747.
For SatNavusers enter the following postcodes:
Birchen Edge Car Park : DE45 1PQ
LongshawCar Park: S11 7TS
Fox House: S11 7TY
The nearest railway station is 4 miles away at Grindleford, on the Sheffield to Manchester railway line.
For train times visit www.nationalrail.co.uk
There are a number of bus routes crossing the Eastern Moors.
Bus routes include:
65 Sheffield to Buxton
66 Chesterfield to Buxton
84 Sheffield to Fox House
170 Chesterfield to Bakewell
174 Baslow to Castleton
214 Matlock, Baslow, Sheffield
215 Matlock, Bakewell, Baslow, Sheffield
218 Bakewell, Totley, Sheffield
275 Bakewell, Eyam, Sheffield
276 Castleton, Hathersage, Grindleford, Chesterfield
For a map of the bus routes visit www.derbysbus.info/maps.
For a full list of bus timetables visit www.derbysbus.info/times.
Car parking facilities and arrival
- The car parks, listed under ‘How to find us: by car’ section above,
- There is one clearly signed blue badge, free parking space situated at the Curbar lay-by car park
- The car park at Curbar Gap is pay and display, however parking is free to National Trust and RSPB members.
- The Eastern Moors is open, upland countryside and has a mix path surfaces, with the majority on uneven and undulating ground. Some steps and surfacing are higher than 10cm's.
- The CRoW access gates on the site are under 1m wide.
- Short walks are available from several access points but these are not circular.
- Nearest public toilets are in Baslow village.
- There is no visitors centre or cafe on site.
- The nearest visitor centre or cafe is at the National Trust Longshaw Estate.
- The nearest place to purchase food and drink is located in Calver village, 1 mile from Curbar Gap car park.